Saturday, November 22, 2014

Modern Quilt Guild Showcase: Part 6

Welcome to my sixth installment of inspiration from the Modern Quilt Guild Showcase at the International Quilt Festival in Houston, TX. Descriptions were written by the artists.
Homage by Jacquie Gering
This quilt was made as an homage to teacher and artist Josef Albers. His book Interaction of Color has been a touchstone as I have learned about color and explored color. The quilt illustrates the color principle of making one color appear as two.
Homage by Jacquie Gering
Homage by Jacquie Gering
Fissures by Debra Jeske
The blocks were begun in a class on the slice and insert technique. I chose to group them together and surround them by plenty of negative space. The line of each of the solid green "sticks" was extended out to the edges, and the wonky spiral quilting emphasized those lines. More spirals were done in each section of the blocks to help the "sticks" stand out.
Fissures by Debra Jeske
Entropy by Elisa Albury
My original idea for this quilt was the shapes and negative spaces that are created when dropping a container of ice cream sprinkles.
Made for inclusion in Minimal Quiltmaking by Gwen Marston (AQS 2014). I explored the concept of minimal design using these elements: unbleached muslin combined with small scraps, all set with the simplest units - the humble square. The quilt is simultaneously chaotic and ordered, a fabric representation of both expansion and contraction.
Entropy by Elisa Albury
Citrus Wedge by Jennifer Carlton Bailly
Citrus Wedge was the first quit that I made just for me out of my favorite colors. Inspired by citrus fruit, I played around with a true quarter circle and scraps. Raiding my friends' fabric stashes to make sure this stayed truly scrappy, not one fabric is repeated. The bottom left red square is my signature. In every quilt I make, you'll find a red square.
Citrus Wedge by Jennifer Carlton Bailly
Spiced Chai Quilt by Katie Blakesley
Traditionally, a full quilt of Tea Leaf blocks would start with a standard quilt layout of repeating blocks set in a grid with sashing in between them. In this case, a few key design changes - eliminating the sashing, using a larger than standard 12.5" block, and rotating several of the blocks so they aren't all facing the same direction - update this quilt for the 21st century. The quilt's neutral palette with a few pops of color creates dramatic focal points.
Spiced Chai Quilt by Katie Blakesley
Didn't Get the Memo by Alissa Carlton
These improvisational pieced triangles lend movement to the quilt design. The quilting lines follow the edge of each triangle, and that one lil' orange triangle didn't get the memo that it is navy/gray day!
Didn't Get the Memo by Alissa Carlton
If you missed out on the first five posts, here they are:
Part 5
Don't forget to get in on my giveaway too!
Follow on Bloglovin
post signature

4 comments:

  1. Some big names in modern quilting in this bunch. I have to say that I am impressed with the circles in Citrus Wedge and I like her approach to "signing" quilts with a signature block. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha!! Love the Didn't Get the Memo quilt title (and the quilt). Also love Entropy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Afton! I just saw that your quilt won the 45th anniversary Quilters newsletter contest. Huge congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so excited to see your quilt in my QN- I know you'd blogged about it, but seeing it in the magazine was so cool!! Thanks for all these modern quilt recaps from houston- I wish there were more people doing these, I feel like I was in such a rush to get through everything at houston it's nice to see some of the quilts again!

    ReplyDelete