Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Gridster Bee Blocks: January

Susan Snooks at PatchworknPlay requested an 8" New York Beauty block. Her color selections included royal blue, pink, and red with touches of black and white and/or yellow. She mentioned a lot for dots. I pulled a bunch of fabrics, but some of the pinks weren't getting along with the other colors.
Susan helped me narrow down my selections, and I added in some black and whites.
 I designed a couple of blocks in EQ7 to paper piece.
My first block came out about 1/4" too small. I removed the center quarter circle and the outer corner. Then I cut new pieces with the same curve, but oversized. I found the mid-point, pinned from there, and sewed. I squared up the block again without having it turn out way too little.
Getting the Cotton + Steel bears aligned in their places was a doozy, but I couldn't help myself. 
 Thanks for joining me for my online quilting bee adventure.
Follow on Bloglovin
Instagram

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, the bears are awesome. I bet it was a doozy getting them lined up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those fussy cut bears are so so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks are totally awesome--especially those bears! I'm impressed you designed your own block, but shouldn't expected less, as you are a pro at EQ7 and I have a love/hate relationship with it. So fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty fabrics, and those bears are adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a tutorial is in order!! Beautiful block.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my blocks Afton! You are so clever to have designed your own blocks. And it is a forgiving block if you can just add new inner and outer arcs to solve the 'too small' problem! I LOVE the bear block...it is way too cute! Thank you for your delightful blocks! I will cherish them.

    ReplyDelete