Monday, February 13, 2017

10 Sewing Notions You Need to Know About: Clip 'n Glide Bodkin

Here I am with the final installment of 10 Sewing Notions You Need to Know About. Today's tool is the latest and greatest bodkin.
The Clip 'n Glide Bodkin allows you to pull elastic, ribbon, trim, or cording through casings 3/4" or larger. It's easy to clip, doesn't accidentally pop open, and bends for use with curved casings.
So what did I make? I created the Simple Halter Dress by Jamie of Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom using the free pattern provided. Here are my pieces minus the bodice back that I forgot to cut until I got to that step.
What appears to be underpants with suspenders is actually me assembling the bodice, thankfully!
Also fortuitously, I had my Point 2 Point Turner at the ready from my last venture into the realm of clothing to help me press out the sides.
That wasn't the only one of the 10 Sewing Notions You Need to Know About to make a cameo appearance. The Hot Ruler played a key role in pressing the side edges over a measly 1/4".

Then I moved on to creating the casing. After cutting out and pressing the back bodice piece in half, I used a Clover Extra Fine Air Erasable Marker to mark lines 3/8" down and 1 3/8" down from the fold.
Once I had stitched on the lines, it was time for the fun of using the Clip 'n Glide Bodkin. I lifted the white lever, clipped the elastic, and pushed the white lever back down.
 The pointy end of the Clip 'n Glide Bodkin fed easily through the casing.
The next step involved attaching the front and back bodice. For whatever reason, my front bodice piece was 5/8" longer than the back, so I cut it even before gathering and attaching the skirt. I omitted the ruffle and instead turned the bottom edge of the skirt over twice with my trusty Hot Ruler before topstitching it in place.
The good new is that the dress turned out super cute. The bad new is that the size 3-4 fits more like an 18 month jumper. User error may be the predominate contributing factor. Either way, my sister-in-law's baby may be the lucky recipient.
Thanks for joining me!
Follow on Bloglovin
Instagram

2 comments:

  1. You are making the cutest things! It has been ion's since I've used elastic, since I've made clothing, since I've made a casing...but oh my! What a cool tool and one I wish was invented 30 years ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun sundress and thanks for showing us another great notion. As always, I love the writing as well as the visuals!

    ReplyDelete