Wandering around Anthropologie's kitchen section, eyeing the pretty aprons, I thought to myself, "You can make that." Never you mind that I've never made an apron before. Well, one thing led to another, and I found myself accumulating oodles of girly food fabrics: the mostly pink kind with cupcakes, modern-colored teapots, forks, chickens with chef hats, and so on and so forth. You get the idea. Once I gathered a bin full of fabric, I realized I needed a little more information. That led to a brief stop at Amazon and this bit of literature:
I decided to, "start at the very beginning. A very good place to start"(to the tune of Do-Re-Mi). In spite of my fabric accumulation, I was missing a few items. With two kiddos, I stayed home and substituted an item here and there. Not having any pre-made bias binding, I decided to make some myself (noticing a trend here), later concluding that it would have probably saved time and money if I made a trip to Joann's rather than hacking into a perfectly good chunk of Kona at a diagonal for the black binding shown below. Rather than using a ribbon for the waistband, I used fabric as well.
I'm satisfied with the result, though the apron angles outward a little more on my postpartum midsection than it does on the skinny domestic gal shown in the picture. I interpreted the directions in a few places where I wasn't quite certain. I'm not sure it they would have made more sense to someone with more seamstressing experience or not. In any event, I'd like to try making more aprons.